Saturday, March 22, 2014

What are you doing that you're so concerned with NSA listening in on your calls ?

Article = none, personal opinion

"What are you doing that  you're so concerned with NSA listening in on your calls ? "

This is the kind of question that you normally dismiss as a debating trick. It's an ad hominen attack (attack on the person giving the argument , not the argument itself) , accusing him of some secret wrong doing and thats why he's taking this side of the debate.

But I suppose it is also a fair question. What am I doing that this whole Edward Snowden NSA thing bothers me so much ?

In 2011 I received a phone call from a machine. The call went roughly like this "Press One if you support the Liberals. Press Two if you support the Conservatives. Press three if you support the NDP" . My first reaction was ... arn't you supposed to tell me who you are ? Who's running this poll ? It didn't even do that. I looked at my phone and I said "Who the (bleep ! ) are you ? " and I hung up on it without entering any response.

Six or eight months later , the news broke in Canada of the Robocall Scandal. Apparently , someone had programmed a machine to call up lots and lots of people and ask them who they were going to vote for . Apparently anyone who indicated they were going to vote for some particular party got a call back from a human being telling them the polls had moved. And when they went to the new polling station , they were told this is not your polling station , you can't vote here. Most of them didn't bother going back to the old polling station , they just went home and forgot about it.

Which means that one particular party got robbed of a lot of votes , enough to cost them the election.

This happened because some politicians got themselves a list of voters , their phone numbers, and their political affiliation. I'd say some untrustworthy politicians , but that would be redundant. Politics is a dirty game and they're all untrustworthy.

How does this relate to the NSA / Edward Snowden thing , you ask ?

NSA now has a big honking list of voters, their phone numbers , and their political affiliations. But not just for America. They have it for lots and lots of other nations. And they're shooting for every nation in the world.

If some politician came along and started running on an "I hate the NSA" platform , and NSA has a list like this for that district , do you really trust them *NOT* to interfere in that election ? Keep in mind this is the organization that by Fisa rule 702 has been granted permission to spy on every non-american in the whole wide world , just because they're not an american. Do you think they'll hesitate for an instant before deciding to rig some election in some foreign country in their favor ?

What am I doing that I'm so concerned with the NSA listening in on my calls ? On everyone's calls as a matter of fact ?

I'm casting my vote for who will rule my country. And I'm expecting it to actually be worth something.
That's what I'm doing.
 

No comments: